Police drone flies into domestic row

A drone was sent out to help iron out a potential domestic dispute at a public area in Birmingham, UK on Monday.

Yes. That is what drones can do when we choose to use them for good.

They can solve our domestics disputes.

At this point in its young life, the West Midlands Police Drone Unit has sent out its new aerial police recruits on so many missions that we feel the drones should have names and ranks and service numbers by now.

And medals too.

On Monday, the unit sent out one of its drones to Sheldon Country Park, Birmingham, in response to reports that a man and a woman had been spotted arguing in the public place, raising fears that the woman could be in danger.

Witnesses said they saw the man flee the scene and jumping fences across nearby gardens as he sought to escape the scene.

Upon arrival, officers spoke to the woman – the other person involved in the argument – and a drone was deployed to help locate the man.

“Following an incident of domestic abuse in a park, the offender made off and eventually fled into gardens,” said the WMP in a post on their Twitter page.

“Our drone located the male. Thanks to the members of the public that helped. Great containment and arrest by the Force Support Unit.”

Police said the drone – which, from the pictures provided was using thermal imaging features on its camera – located the man hiding in bushes nearby and he was arrested.

The man has since been released without charge following a “thorough investigation”, police said.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Police added: “We attended Sheldon Country Park in Birmingham following concerns for a woman’s safety. The caller reported seeing a man and a woman arguing in the car park just before 3.30pm on Monday (March 14).

“We spoke to the woman and our drone team was used to help find the man. He was seen jumping fences into gardens in Greenvale Avenue, where he was found in the bushes and arrested. We believe they are known to each other.

“After a thorough investigation, the 34-year-old man was released without charge. Our primary concern was for the woman, who we have spoken to. She told us she was not harmed and is safe and well.”


Leave a Comment


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password